Scientific name: Rhyothemis variegata (Linnaeus, 1763)
Family: Libellulidae
Thai name: แมลงปอบ้านไร่ปีกทองเปื้อน
I've seen at least 200 species of Odonata recorded in Thailand. Rhyothemis variegata is the odonate species I often spot in the lowland and my backyard. Thai R. variegata is belong to subspecies 'R. v. variegata'. It's often seen flying with its cousin, R. phyllis. Strangely enough, I see only females every time. Today, I look up all my photos I took and found photos looked like male of R. v. variegata.female
Male is metallic black body and abdomen. Wing tips are darken. Forewings are yellow veins with black patches. Base of hindwings are covered with black with yellow patch. Small black spot scattered entirely. Female is similar to the male but stouter. Base to nodus of forwings are black with yellow. Hindwings is black with yellow patches except wing tips.
male(?)


Nice shots! The wings of the female is beautiful.
ReplyDeletethanks!
ReplyDelete